Homeschool Day in the Life // '23-'24 edition

Hey, how's it going? Today, I'll be doing a day in the life as a homeschooler! I've wanted to do one of these posts for a while. This post takes place on Wednesday, April 10th, 2024. It took me forever to write this haha!

5am - wake up 

5am me


I wake up at 5:00, which is probably pretty early for a homeschooler! Besides the fact that I enjoy waking up early, I swim at the Y 5 days a week, so being an early riser definitely helps with that! 

5:30 am - head to the gym

Still dark out!

By 5:30, my brother is done preparing for his run. He drops me off at the YMCA, then he drives somewhere to run. He likes to run by the ocean 😊

5:40 am - get ready to swim

My gym stuff

It takes me 10-15 minutes to get ready. Basically I just use the bathroom, change out of my clothes, and take a quick rinse. 

5:50 am - start swimming!

My lane! Blurred out some parts that might give away location

I start swimming a little before seven. This morning I shared a lane with a guy who is apparently a swim coach? A guy I talk to every morning told me to be careful or I might get recruited πŸ˜‚ I swim for about an hour each morning.

6:50 am - shower/get dressed

Don't I look fantastic? lol. If you had seen me with my swim cap...

Yes, I use the gym showers. If I don't, I won't when I get home, then my hair will be super tangled. 

7:05 am - leave the gym

3rd mirror picture haha

My brother picks me up after his run, then we head back home together! Usually my dad runs with him but some mornings my dad isn't feeling good, so he stays home. 


7:20 am - breakfast!


Not a great picture sorry

I eat a quick breakfast - we have steel cut oats every single morning. Not exaggerating πŸ˜… On the weekends we have eggs and sausage too, but yep, it's steel cut 7 days a week! The oatmeal I had this morning wasn't as good since it was leftovers, but usually we have it from the pot. 


7:30 am - start school


My response was super long lol

I usually have time to finish one subject before Eliyah wakes up! Today, I started with literature. We do live literature classes using WriteAtHome, and I love it! At this time, I was working on a response to our discussion question. (Discussions are fun - everyone gets to post their answer and talk to each other about it!) This one is about year-round schooling. 



8:00 am - wake Eliyah up


Awww.... good morning, sunshine!

I wake Eliyah up at 8:00 and make her breakfast while I wait for her to come out. By the time she gets up, the house is pretty quiet - Elijah is gone for school, and Mama and/or Papa have left for work. Sometimes she'll get up sooner, especially if someone is being loud... *cough* Elijah πŸ˜‚

8:30 am - Eliyah breakfast/clean up/prep for day


The house is a mess, to say the least.

While Eliyah eats breakfast, I clean up! Sometimes, if it's already clean, I'll sit with her and read her a book while she eats. This morning, it was a larger mess than usual, so she got dressed and had independent play while I finished cleaning. 

Playing with slime!

9:30 am - head outside


Soccer star!

After we were both ready for the day, we played outside. On rainy days, we stay inside. (Well, sometimes we'll go for a rain walk!) But today was super nice!


10:15 am - snack

Today's chalk art - jellyfish πŸͺΌ

I had avocado toast! Today, snack was when Kuya (my older brother) and I "switched." He had been doing school while I watched Eliyah and it was now his turn to watch her while I did school. Usually we switch a little sooner but he was finishing something he had to submit later today. 


10:20 am - school

I forgot to take a picture again?! Sorry lol. I think I did History. History was just some reading today. Other days we have activities or a quiz. 


11:00 am - prepare lunch/clean up/eat lunch


White bread?!

Okay, lunch was a little early today. I usually prepare it at 11:20 and we eat about 20 minutes later, but since I had just finished a subject it seemed like a good time. We eat earlyish lunches anyway because Eliyah takes forever to eat and she needs to get to bed in time - especially on a day like today (we have live classes on Wednesday at 1:00) Today I made deli turkey & cheese sandwiches with white bread. I put emphasis on "cheese" and "white bread" because we rarely have cheese and just about never have white bread. Someone gave us some so I just had to make something unhealthy for lunchπŸ˜…

12:20 pm - put Eliyah to bed/finish another subject

Forgot pictures again lol. I put her to bed and finished a subject (science) before our 1:00 class. 

1:00 pm - literature 

I took this picture after lol

At 1:00 on Wednesdays, we have a literature class on zoom. I look forward to them every week. We discuss our reading from the previous week and it's always so fun. Our teacher is hilarious πŸ˜‚


2:00 pm - snack, finish last subject

Eliyah and I made muffins the other day!

After literature is done, I'll have a quick snack. Usually I'll have a piece of fruit or yogurt, but today we had leftover bran muffins that Eliyah and I made (with cereal lol.) After snack, I finish my last subject if I have another one. (I'll often finish everything else before literature has started)

3:00 pm - wake Eliyah up

We wake Eliyah up at 3:00, usually. Once she wakes up, we give her a quick snack then she plays! The weather has been nice lately, so we took her outside.

3:30 pm - everyone returns

The rest of my family starts coming back home at around this time. I won't continue the day in the life until bedtime, so let me tell you what we do shortly. We usually have dinner at around 4:30. Everyone has a night to make dinner (mine is on Monday.) Today is Kuya's (my older brother) night!

After dinner, we clean up and sometimes go back outside. I usually help Elijah with homework, if he has any. Kuya and I help Elijah and Eliyah get ready for bed. Once they are in bed, we get some free time, unless there's something else we need to do. Today I was working on an application for an internship. After that, I did my "bedtime business" and got into bed.

Your turn!

That sums up my average day as a homeschooler! Are you homeschooled? What does your day look like? I'd love to hear about it in the comments. 

See you around!

















Comments

Popular Posts