6 Ways to Live in the Moment

Life goes by fast. We're often just waiting for "that next thing," whether it be a big party or a sleepover with a friend. We want to get to that thing, and when it's over, we look for that next thing. We try to make time go faster. But when we're rushing on to the next exciting moment, we leave behind little moments that do matter. Here's a quote I read:

"If you're always racing to the next moment, what happens to the one you're in?" - Nanette Matthews

Watching my siblings grow up is one way I've realized that I should slow down. Sure, I'm excited for my little sister to go to preschool, and for my little brother to stop shouting random math facts at the kitchen table. But I also realize that my little sister won't pretend her dolls are going swimming in the bath tub forever, and my little brother won't always be super excited about a magnetic tile structure he just built. 

Obviously, we're going to grow up no matter what. We can't stop time from passing, but there are a few things we can do to enjoy life now instead of rushing into the future.

1. Document everything

Write every little thing in your journal. Write about your ups and downs, how you're feeling, what's going on at school, a conversation with someone, and even something as little as a package you received or a text message you got from a friend. Take pictures and videos, of everyone and everything. Buy an external hard drive if you need one, but you won't regret taking pictures. I don't mean take 20,000 selfies (because come on, do you really need every single angle of your face?) Take pictures of your room, of you with your friends and family, of your little siblings, (I'd say 90 percent of the pictures on my phone are of my siblings haha) and of an awesome view that you want to remember. (And by the way, it's totally okay to ask someone to take pictures of you!) After you take these pictures, put them in a scrapbook! Embellish the page with doodles, stickers, and words. You won't regret it.

2. Enjoy the little things

There are the big things in life, like birthdays and graduations and sleepovers. Those are important to remember, but don't forget the little things. Learn to appreciate little moments and God's creation. Step outside at night to stare at the stars. Re-read a sweet text from a friend. Stare out the window on the ride to the grocery store. It's much easier to appreciate bigger things, but the little things matter, too!

3. Take a moment to unwind

When you take a moment to sit on the couch and do nothing, do you ever jump right back up because you're sure there's something else you should be doing? Well, sit right back down. Sometimes you need time to relax and just think about life. Not every moment has to be productive. And no, I'm not telling you that you should scroll on your phone for hours or forget about that huge pile of laundry your mom asked you to fold... but don't feel like every second has to accomplish something. 

4. Avoid complaining

Complaining isn't enjoyable for you or the people around you. It also prevents you from enjoying your life as it is now. Maybe you complain about having to do the dishes. I know it sounds silly, but you can enjoy doing the dishes - it's a choice. We can choose to be miserable with whatever we do or to be happy with what we have. Who wants to be miserable, anyway? You can enjoy everything you do.

5. Spend time with your family 

Spending time with your family is one of the best ways to live in the moment. Your family is changing, and taking time to be with them will help you appreciate them. So get out of your room, turn off the phone, close the book, and hang out with your family! Obviously, having time for yourself isn't bad. Just make sure you take a break! 

6. Spend time outside

I don't know about you, but stepping out in nature kind of slows time down for me. Worry and stress seem to melt away. Getting out in nature is a great way to think about life.


By the way, I highly recommend reading "Our Town," which explores the theme of this post. I just finished reading it for (home)school and my literature teacher (online haha) told me I should tell you guys about it 😉

Will you start living in the moment?

Comment your thoughts! Please share the blog, and I hope to see you around!

- Emeren

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts