How to Paint with Little Kids

My little siblings love to paint. I can't blame them - I do too! But of course, painting can leave a HUGE mess! 
Here are some tips I've learned over the years (especially this summer) I've been doing art with my little siblings! 

Notice the spilled paint bottle...

Tip 1: Protect all surfaces

I don't know what I was thinking when I let Elijah and Eliyah both paint without all surfaces protected! I had to spend the next hour washing bright blue paint out of our brown and white rug... Use newspaper or disposable tablecloths (you can reuse them) to protect both the table and the floor. 

Ever since Eliyah (2 year old) got her first paint set and started painting about month ago, we've spilled a bottle of paint every single time we've painted. 

Tip 2: Protect their clothes

Over the summer, we painted a lot. And we didn't have smocks! I remembered to put a t-shirt over his nicer shirt, but left his shorts unprotected. 

Those shorts are now stained with black paint 😅

We recently bought these smocks for Elijah and Eliyah. They are a little thin, but they keep their clothes protected! 

A t-shirt also works, as long as it's long enough. 

Tip 3: 1 bottle at a time

This tip especially applies to toddlers! If you are using a set similar to this one, give them one bottle of at a time. Unless, of course, you want the white paint to be blue, the yellow paint to be green, and the red paint to be orange! 

Not to mention, it's way more likely that a bottle of paint will end up on the floor.

Another way to avoid the paint mix-up is to simply pour some on a paper plate or palette. At least the whole bottle won't be ruined!


Tip 4: Enough space for everyone

I tried letting Elijah and Eliyah paint at the same easel, on the same paper. 

Heh... it didn't work so well. 

They kept bumping into each other and knocking paint bottles everywhere! I didn't make that mistake again 😂

Awesome paint activity - props to Kuya for all the help!  


Tip 5: Keep paper towels nearby

Do not forget to keep paper towels, wet rags, and/or baby wipes nearby! This is always helpful when someone spills paint on the floor (my little sister came soooo close to leaving baby footprints all over our rug 😬) or if someone wants their hands clean. 

Or if paint spills on the table and smears their sleeves... 

Or if it gets in their hair...

Or if it gets just about anywhere but the paper!

Paper towels to the rescue!


Have fun!

My little siblings love painting! Let the experience be fun for all of you. Your siblings will thank you 🙂

See you around!

- Emeren



Comments

  1. I don’t have any younger siblings but reading this post brought a smile to my face! I love how even when mistakes are made, you don’t give up or say “That’s it. No more painting. It’s too messy.” Instead, you find ways to make painting fun and easy for you and your siblings even if frustrating because they’re little and make messes! So sweet and encouraging 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you! It's so worth it especially because I love to watch how much my little siblings enjoy painting :) Glad you found it encouraging!

      Delete
    2. ❤️
      (By the way, it has me put in my name every time since I don’t have an account. So I’ll try to remember to put “Emma S.” every time instead of just “Emma” so it’s not confusing in case other Emmas comment haha!)

      Delete
    3. Okay, thank you Emma! Our names are kinda similar too haha :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts